Supplemental work on Tier 2 Visa


Please briefly explain why you feel this question should be reported .


I need (urgent) advice on supplemental work on a Tier 2 visa.

I’m professor in a UK university on a Tier 2 visa. I understand I can do supplementary PAYE work with certain restrictions (<20 hours p.w., same level as job, etc.). That’s fine, I occasionally do small pieces of work for other UK universities.

My question is about additional, job-related work that is a necessary part of my job and that I am expected by my employer to do. The work is not PAYE.

Examples are:

1. Write a book which will pay (modest) royalties (publisher is in Netherlands).

2. Work as a consultant for a non-British NGO in another country.

3. Review grant proposals for a research funder in another country which pays me a modest fee.

4. Serve as editor for a non-British journal (which pays a modest stipend)

All of these examples produce income and I am happy to pay tax to the UK through foreign income tax forms, but it would be a form of self-employment, which is prohibited in Tier 2 visa. (Each of these examples provide income from outside of the UK.)

These are very much related to my job and academics are expected/encouraged to do these things. Any advice?


closed 0
Paid 1 Answer 3924 views

About the Author

Answer ( 1 )

  1. Please briefly explain why you feel this answer should be reported .


    Thank you for contacting JustVisa.

    There is no obligation to inform the Home Office about supplimentatry employment. The activities you have listed appear to be supplementary activities particularly as they are activities an academic would normally carry out as part of his/her academic career.

    Please note that supplementary employment are subject to the following restrictions – you must continue to work for your current employer, you must not work for more than 20 hours per week and any work must be carried out outside of the normal working hours as specified in the certificate of sponsorship.

    Please ensure that any income you receive are recorded for income tax purposes.

    I hope this answers your question.

Leave an answer